Thursday, July 20, 2006

David and Jan's version of Thursday

We returned to the zoo to visit the Shrine of the Sun, which is accessible by a road only available through the zoo. By DML standards the paved road is extremely mild, although the switchbacks might freak some uninitiated folks in cars. At the top, you visit a stone tower -- pretty cool -- that has rooms in it memorializing the actor Will Rogers. The point of the shrine is to have a place for the ashes of a couple by the last name of Penrose. They're responsible for a number of places around here, and lived quite a nice life and they spend eternity there in a beautiful chapel high from the city in peace and quiet. I'm envious! At any rate, the elevation is about 9,000 and the views of the city are just amazing. (David took photos) Unfortunately "they", whoever they are, closed off the observation deck atop the tower which deprived us of the full height but we managed to make our way through a door on the second or third floor, which went out onto a tiny deck and displayed spectacular sights. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able to exit there or not, but after a bit of toying with the deadbolt, we got the door open and went out onto the little ledge. Sure glad that door wasn't secured with one of those darn Master locks that were everywhere else. But the trip up there was well worth it, I think.

David wanted to go higher up Cheyenne mountain via a road that took off from the paved road, but I pointed out the sign said "no vehicles beyond this point". Shoot. Another road we passed on the way down didn't have a sign saying to get away, but I pointed out that we were solo and the road looked a little iffy. Yes I'm part chicken sometimes... but oh well.

After that we headed down to the nearby World Figure Skating museum, which I know isn't on the hot list of most DMLers, but personally it was like a mecca to me, to actually be near memorabilia from my very elite peers, whom I could never emulate but always admire. I skate for the enjoyment of flying across ice, they skate and earn millions. But whatever.

We had planned to visit the Cave of the Winds afterward, but the last lantern tour was at 5, and we got stuck in traffic. :-( It's on our list for Friday, after we go with the group to Pikes Peak. It's then or never, so I hope we do make it.

The group kinda split up a bit today, and I hope everyone found what they wanted out of the day. At least the lightning around Colorado Springs was the wickedest I've ever seen... lots and lots of cloud to ground spikes, in vivid purple. I can believe now why they warn against being high up when it strikes!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home