Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Guess I should get around to posting!

I havn't had time to post anything since I left for Colorado friday. Its been interesting heh. I didn't leave wisconsin until 7:10 pm central on friday. I made it as far as Winona, MN where I grabbed a room at a best western for the night. After a restless night sleep, I hit the road the next day at about 9 am or so saturday morning. The drive was long and mostly uneventful except for rendering some roadside assistance. I responded to a truck driver saying that there were two women stranded on the side of I-80 in Iowa, trying to change a flat tire, which turned out to be a woman and her 6-7 year old daughter. I helped them change their tire and got them back on the road. She was very appreciative of the help and thanked me over and over. That was a good feeling :)

The drive seemed to drag on a very long time and I made it into Lone Duck at 2:30 am MST... with approx 1200 miles on the clock. Thats about 1050+ miles in a single day over an approximate time of 17-18 hours. I slept in the cab of the truck when I got to the campground. Woke up at 6:45 sunday morning after no where near enough sleep. We bummed around camp most of the day and went to Seven Falls waterfall later that night and saw some really awesome rock formations and waterfalls.

Monday was pretty awesome too. We set out for Garden of the Gods rock formations. Adam Jackie and Mike and I went walking around a few of the many trails in the area - seems like every where you turn around here theres one skyline or another thats more awesome than what you just saw. We met up with Jon and Ed afterwards and hit some trails for some great photo ops.

Tuesday we set out in the morning for Dakota Hill and other areas which I can't remember the names of right now. Dakota hill was pretty cool actually. The only signs of civilization was the communications and cell towers that were posted up there. I was able to get some lightning strikes on video. The trees up at that elevation are all very thick and stubby and short. There were what Mike guessed to be, mining test holes, dug out and filled in, with 20-some year old trees that had taken root, all over the top of the hill... adding to the eery landscape.

We set out for the highland afterwards and eventually topped well over 11,000 feet elevation. We made it to the top of this particulat mountain range, the name of which escapes me... at the top the wind was blowing something feirce and it was cold. We were well above the tree line and had spotted a couple herds of elk on the way up. The trail was moderate/easy. With lots more bumps than really difficult sections. Jason and Norah's stock quadcab made it over them just fine. The views were more than breathtaking. Its a sight I will not soon forget and one that I hope I'll see again. Everyone remarked that they had a wonderful day.

Wednesday decided to throw me a curve ball. A sound I was hearing tuesday night, turned out to be both front axleshaft joints on the Ram's front DANA axle, grinding their rusted, non-greaseable, factory OEM u-joints to peices. After runing around town all morning fetching u-joints and having to buy and entire craftsman socket set just to get a single 1-11/16ths socket for the spindle nut, I started taking stuff apart and saw that the bolts that hold the wheel bearing units to the spindle, are a funky ass 12 point dealy. A bolt head that I do not have a socket for. I am pondering if I should run all over kingdomcome trying to find that socket, or just have a shop change the joints and be done with it. As it is I can't get any parts. I'll have to put everything back together again to go look. Everyone else is out in town. I missed the brewery tour this AM and unless someone comes back to camp, I'm going to miss the drag racing at Bandamire, to say nothing or participting. Somthing that I had *really* been looking forward to - as I have never done that before. Anyway... I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I think I'll make a few phone calls and see what a shop will ream me for to change the joints.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too much to ask, Tom, that we have a DML meet that doesn't involve repairing one or more of your trucks? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home