Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hello from the Henrys

Hi all, I am Jan, the passenger in David's '94 Dakota Sport 4x4, blue. I don't know what his official tag is... that's about what I can remember.

David and I are driving the truck from Detroit area (well HE is -- I tried... the bush didn't fare too badly, I mostly cleared it) and bringing our parrot, Patrick. Pat has a diaper, called a flight suit, and when he's in the suit he's very well behaved with everyone so I'm not worried he'll be mean to anyone.

David knows generally where we're going and how we're getting to Colorado so we'll have him chime in later with those plans. We haven't set plans for where we're staying on the way out, but the plan is hotels. And we're using the AAA guidebook to pinpoint just a few sightseeing things to stretch out at during the trip out.

We are all set with our site; we have reserved one of the cabins. There will be no question which one is ours when I get finished with my little door tribute to the truck and DML!

I wanted to take this opportunity to add in a few side trips the Henrys are doing during the BBQ, around/in addition to some of the official things listed, and in place of a few others. Other DMLers are welcome to join us, although David acknowledges that most will probably have little interest in the World Figure Skating Museum and ice time at the world arena. I skate, and I can't be that close to Colorado Springs and not go! :-)

But we are planning to check out The Craggs, which is an alternate hike site, more "gentle" than Pikes Peak. We'll still go with the group to the top, but I wanted to hike, and my asthma would probably make that extremely difficult. So we'll do The Craggs. We're also planning to go to the Mountain Zoo, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, and if we have time... Miramont Castle and Royal Gorge. We've always done the national lampoon thing, why stop now? ;-)

We'll be there on the more mild trails, although David's Dakota may have too much arthritis to take the harder ones. Oh well. It was a riot while it lasted!

Jan

4 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Jan, be sure to get David to post your travel details, particularly what dates you'll be around. Norah might be interested in checking out the figure skating, I'll have to mention that to her.

Good to hear Patrick will be there, I had wondered about that. Now we just need to teach Dakota the golden retriever not to retrieve this particular bird.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ingrid and I are planning on checking out Garden of the Gods also. I'm still trying to nail down our final itinerary but if you are also planning it, I'll try to leave it so we can go together. Look forward to meeting you all.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Jason, I know we are leaving the evening of July 12, a Wednesday and we plan to arrive at Lone Duck on Saturday July 15. We depart Sunday July 23 for the drive home.

I look forward to meeting Dakota! I guess it would depend on how high Dakota can jump. Pat's diaper includes a leash, so he'll be on our shoulder most of the time - mine, 5ft, and David's, 6ft... unless we're sitting. We also have a bird backpack thing that is like a soft cage and he'll be in that too part of the time. But mostly it seems he looks too weird in that getup to seem like food.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Don't worry, we'll keep the dog under control. We've learned better (just ask Ed).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we won't be doing any harder off-road trails, just the easy and medium ones. It looks like there are only going to be one or maybe two vehicles there capable of the hard-core stuff. Those guys can take off on their own and have their fun, there will be plenty of chances for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home