Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jason & Norah's return trip

Okay, we have our reservations set up for our return trip after the meet. We'll be sticking around Lone Duck for a couple of days, as my parents are planning on being there. We'll be heading straight for Ontario without the side trip to Jon's. We'll be returning along I-80 through Nebraska.

July 25: We'll leave Lone Duck on Tuesday morning, head over to Limon to the Flying J there, and then head straight north along side roads to Brush, Colorado. That'll keep us well out of Denver. We'll pick up I-76 there, gas up at the Flying J in Julesburg, and continue to I-80. Then we'll head east on I-80 until we stop for the night at the KOA in Gothenburg, Nebraska. 368 miles this day.

July 26: East on I-80. We'll need to find someplace around Lincoln to make a fuel stop. Then we'll drive past Omaha and stop at the Des Moines Flying J, then continue to Oxford, Iowa to stay at the Sleepy Hollow RV Park. At 476 miles, this is the longest day of trailer towing we have planned over the entire vacation. It'll be a long day, but it is through Nebraska and Iowa, and we've driven this route several times before. There's not really much to stop and look at.

July 27: Continuing east on I-80 around Davenport, stopping at the Flying J in LaSalle, Illinois. Then we start getting close to Chicago. This will undoubtedly be the biggest traffic mess of the entire trip. Interstates 80 and 94 join up south of Chicago, then split apart near Gary. We'll take I-94 northeast in to Michigan, with a fuel stop at the Flying J in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Then we'll pick up I-69 north to Lansing, where we'll be stopping for the night at the Lansing Cottonwood Campground. 440 miles.

July 28: We'll already be pretty close to home by this morning, but we'll have a lot of work to do putting the trailer back in storage and getting our stuff put away. From Lansing, we'll head over to Port Huron and gas up again just before crossing the border. After we cross over to Sarnia, we'll head over to London and across the 401 to Milton Heights. Once we get the trailer put back in storage, it's back home to Burlington. 296 miles.

So, that's our cross country driving plan. Now the real planning work begins, figuring out what we're going to do while we're actually in Colorado.

1 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I can't find the alternate route from Limon you describe, you'll have to show that to me.

I had looked at the I-70 route, but when I added it up it seemed like it was a much bigger difference than that. I tried it both heading north from Indianapolis, as well as from Kansas City to Des Moines. I wasn't convinced that either of them worked out any better than Nebraska. We'll be doing the I-70 route on the way out there, so at least this way we'll see some technically different scenery (even if Nebraska is virtually indistinguishable from Kansas).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home